Unique Visitors

Friday 11 January 2013

Mercutio's "Plague o' both your houses"


We studied Mercutio’s speech where he curses and puts “A plague o’ both your houses” after being dealt with a fatal blow in a duel with Tybalt. After hot seating on how you would feel as Mercutio and screaming (quite loudly in some cases!) sentences that may have come to his mind, we had a go at writing our own versions of his rant. We generated our success criteria, suggesting that we should us oxymorons, similes, metaphors, angry words, alliteration and the power of three. Before we could go and write we had to get ourselves psyched up and angry, as Mercutio was at the time. To do this, we all stomped around the carpet area screaming and chanting lines from Mercutio’s speech such as “A plague o’ both your houses” and “They’ve made worm’s meat out of me”.

Here are some of our efforts. (Coming soon! Below are some of our first drafts)


Rosie (Year 6)

I am dying at death’s door,
A plague o’ both your houses,
Thanks to you and your forbidden love you caused your best friend to die,
You should be ashamed of yourself,
You have a serpent heart,
I put life at risk and you do nothing,
Now in the morrow you will not see me,
This is the last time we’ll see each other,
Neither will you see me in hell,
I didn’t think you would betray me like this,
I thought you were my friend!
People are wrong, especially me,
How could you choose her over me?
The worst thing is she’s a Capulet!
They’ve made worms meat out of me,
Why? Why did I ever want to be your friend?
I hope you rot in hell!
I never want to see your sick face again!
You deserve the Capulets.
A plague o’ both your houses.

 
Jordan Wh (Year 6)

I am downed,
A plague o’ both your houses.
Why the Capulet> Why her? Why?
She will not be the one!
I am damned like a dove stabbed by a dagger.
I will fight with all my might for you,
But I did not think I would end up like a weak ox,
Give me revenge, kill Tybalt, kill him now!
But t’is your fault as well as the Capulet!
They’ve made worms meat out of me,
Your hurtful romance has led to my death,
I hope the two families lose all their lives!
A plague o’ both your houses.



Jordan Wh (Yr6) Final draft

I am downed A plague o’ both your houses!
Why the Capulet? Why her? Why?
She will not be the one!
I am damned like a dove stabbed by a dagger!
I will fight with all my might for you!
But I did not think I would end up like an ox weakened by your plague!
Give me revenge kill; Tybolt, kill him now!
But t’is your fault as well as the Capulet!
They have made worms meat out of me!
Your hateful love has led to my death!
I hope all the lives of both families die!
A plague o’ both your houses!



Shani (Year 6)
 
I am wounded,
A plague o’ both your houses,
How could you do this to me?
Why would you treat me like this?
I am disappointed, depressed and disgusted,
Like a lonely soul locked up in a cursed cage in hell,
I am furious like a fire raging rapidly through a darkened house,
Deadly, damned, disgraced!
Did you really want me in your life?
Hurtful love. Why her?
Why a Capulet?
You black hearted beast you!
They’ve made worms meat out of me,
It’s alright; you will not sorrow by the morrow,
As I will be up in heaven,
And I will never see any of you again.
A plague o' both your houses!
 
Shani (Yr6) FINAL DRAFT
 
I am woefully wounded,
A plague on both your houses,
How could you do this to me?
Why would you treat me like this?
I thought you were my best friend,
But I am mistakenly wrong,
I am disappointed, depressed and disgusted
Because of your absurd love,
I’m a lonely soul locked up in a cursed cage,
I am furious like a fire raging rapidly
Through a darkened house,
Deadly, damned, disgraced,
Did you really want me to be in your life?
I would risk my life for you
But obviously you wouldn’t do the same,
Hurtful love,
Why her? Why a Capulet?  WHY a Capulet?
WHY A CAPULET?
You black hearted beasts you,
They have made worms meat out of me,
It’s alright you won’t sorrow by morrow  
As I will be up in heaven
And I will never see any of you again,
But there’s one more thing I need you to do,
Kill Tybalt, Kill him, KILL HIM,
I hope you all rot in hell,
A plague on both your houses
 

No comments:

Post a Comment